Reddit user DontTacoBoutIt (now a dead account) posted a series of famous paintings and gave short but hilariously accurate explanations on how to recognize their authors.
Though some may fault them for being gross over-generalizations, these descriptions take the recognizable essence of each painter’s work and put it in very easy words that anyone can understand and, more importantly, remember.
So no need to take classes anymore, just read the lines, close your eyes and use your fantasy… just joking…
1. If everyone in the paintings has enormous asses, then it’s Rubens.
2. If all the men look like cow-eyed curly-haired women, it’s Caravaggio.
3. If everybody has some sort of body malfunction, then it’s Picasso.
4. If it’s something you saw on your acid trip last night, it’s Dali.
5. If the images have a dark background and everyone has tortured expressions on their faces, it’s Titian.
6. If the paintings have tons of little people in them but otherwise seem normal, it’s Bruegel.
7. If everyone – including the women – looks like Putin, then it’s van Eyck.
8. If the paintings have lots of little people in them but also have a ton of crazy bullshit, it’s Bosch.
9. If everyone is beautiful, naked, and stacked, it’s Michelangelo.
10. If you see a ballerina, it’s Degas.
11. Dappled light but no figures, it’s Monet.
12. Dappled light and happy party-time people, it’s Renoir.
13. Dappled light and unhappy party-time people, then it’s Manet.
14. Lord of the Rings landscapes with weird blue mist and the same wavy-haired aristocratic-nose Madonna, it’s Da Vinci.
15. Excel sheet with coloured squares, it’s Mondrian.